Housing and home improvements

Housing support available in the borough.

Rent and Council Tax

If you're on a low income you may be able to get help with paying your rent and your Council Tax. You may also be eligible for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are for people receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, including a housing element, who require further financial assistance with housing costs because their benefit does not cover their full rent.

Find out more about Discretionary Housing Payments.

Financial Inclusion Team

The Financial Inclusion Team provides benefits, budgeting and debt advice to council tenants who are having difficulty paying their rent.

They can provide advice to new tenants, benefit advice, help on dealing with debt, budgeting advice and help understanding your rent charges.


If you are a social housing tenant in a property with more bedrooms than you need, or your are struggling to heat and maintain your home, it could be beneficial to downsize. With the Room to Move scheme, you can get a payment of between £200 and £5000 depending on the size of your property.

Find out more about downsizing.

Local Assistance Scheme

For residents who receive welfare benefits who are subject to serious hardship, the Crisis Assistance scheme can help with the purchase of food and fuel and a Community Care Grant can help with the purchase of furniture and white goods.

The Green Homes Grant

The Green Homes Grant is a scheme for homeowners and landlords in England to support the installation of energy efficient and low-carbon heating improvements to their homes. This could help save up to £600 a year on energy bills and make homes warmer and more comfortable for the people living in them.

Find out more about the Green Homes Grant.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter. The money is not paid to you - it's a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October and March.

You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. Contact your supplier to find out.

The discount will not affect your Cold Weather Payment or Winter Fuel Payment.

The 2021/22 scheme is now closed. The 2022/23 scheme is expected to open in October 2022.

Find out more about the Warm Home Discount Scheme (GOV.UK).

South West London Energy Advice Partnership

SWLEAP provides energy advice across Richmond, Wandsworth and Merton to anyone in fuel poverty. This could be an energy visit to your home but we also provide advice at energy cafes in community settings, over the telephone or by email if you prefer.

Winter warmth home service

Crisis Support is available by phone including fuel vouchers for those with a prepay meter, emergency heating repairs for homeowners, referrals for insulation and heating grants (via Sustainable Warmth and Warmer Homes 3, and subject to available funding) and support applying to the Household Support Fund (where available).

Standard support is also available by home visit, including:

  • Carbon monoxide detectors
  • LED bulbs and radiator panels
  • Specialist advice on lowering your heating bills whilst keeping warm
  • Advice on energy and water bill tariff discounts including the 50 per cent Water Help discount and the Warm Home Discount (where available)
  • Assessments for grants for insulation and heating works
  • Referrals for benefit checks
  • Advice on health and wellbeing services in the borough
  • Referrals for a free smoke alarm.

Find out more about the winter warmth home service.

Suggest a service for the hub

If you think any information is missing on the Cost of Living Hub, including services provided by community groups, please submit your feedback.