COVID-19: Further to Government announcements on the easing of lockdown restrictions, some services have now resumed on limited basis. Please go to the individual service webpage for further details.
Admission to the office is by appointment only. Customers without an appointment will not be admitted and should not travel to the office. Please contact us via email or telephone.
A civil marriage is a secular (non-religious) ceremony that is conducted and registered by a Registrar.
The ceremony cannot have any religious content, but individual touches can be added such as non-religious music and readings.
We make a commitment to ensure that we will do all we can to make your special day a happy and memorable occasion.
You are able to get married in buildings that have been officially registered for marriages. In Wandsworth, these are:
- The Register Office. Wandsworth Register Office has five ceremony rooms within the Town Hall which you can be married in. These are the Elizabeth Room, the Victoria Room, the Alexandra Room, the Mayor's Parlour and the Grand Chamber.
- Approved venues such as a hotel, an art centre and a sporting venue.
- Places of religious worship in the district where one of you live.
- Places of religious worship outside the district in which you live, but which one of you uses as your usual place of worship.
The Government has announced that small marriage and civil partnership ceremonies, involving close friends and family, may resume from 4 July.
How ceremonies will take place
- A maximum of 15 people may attend a marriage or civil partnership ceremony. This limit has been decided by Government and will be imposed without exception in all venues.
- Capacity limits may be lower, depending on the room, to allow for social distancing in line with building risk assessments. Check room capacities.
- Ceremony fees are set according to the venue/room chosen and will not be reduced based on a lesser number of attendees.
- Social distancing rules on gatherings apply to ceremonies and must be adhered to in respect of who you invite to attend your ceremony.
- Approved venues must submit a risk assessment to the Register Office. Registrars will only attend a venue once satisfied that it is COVID-secure and operating in line with Government guidance.
- A short and simple ceremony will be carried out to minimise prolonged exposure and risk. Couples may not be able to include all of the enhancements they had planned, including readings and separate entrances.
- Admission to Wandsworth Town Hall will be by guest list only. Couples must confirm the names of all attendees at least 3 working days before the ceremony. Unnamed guests will not be permitted to enter the building or outside areas.
- Couples and their guests will need to arrive 10 minutes before their ceremony, but no earlier. The number of people in the building at any one time is being carefully managed. Guests arriving early may be asked to remain outside until they can be safely accommodated. Late arrival will result in non-admission and this will be non-negotiable.
For ceremonies at the Town Hall, the booking includes the registrar's attendance and use of the room for the duration of the ceremony. We have a choice of five rooms of differing sizes and styles. The venue description for your notice of marriage or civil partnership should read The Town Hall, Wandsworth High Street, London.
For ceremonies at approved venues, the booking includes the registrar's attendance only. The venue will need to be booked separately and hire costs will apply.
Booking a ceremony at Wandsworth Town Hall or an approved venue
You need to check the availability of the Registrars to attend a ceremony. Your marriage or civil partnership ceremony booking is provisional until such time as you have given your notices and completed the legal preliminaries.
- A non-refundable booking fee of £50 is required at the time of booking. This will be redeemed against the ceremony and certificate fee.
- Any outstanding balance is due no later than 2 months before the ceremony. If your booking is within 2 months the full fee is payable at the time of booking.
- Any changes to your booking will incur an administrative fee.
- The Register Office reserves the right to cancel a ceremony if payment has not been received.
Read the full terms and conditions.
If you choose an approved venue you will also need to make a booking at the venue.