How to challenge a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

Static parking contraventions

As the contravention has been recorded by CCTV cameras, a formal representation can be made by the registered keeper of the vehicle upon receipt of a PCN.

An Enforcement Notice (EN) will not be sent, as the PCN acts as the EN or Notice to Owner.

Therefore, you have the option of paying the PCN or making a formal representation.

Formal representation

A formal representation must be made in writing (email is acceptable) within 28 days of the date of service of the PCN. This is considered a formal representation and no additional informal challenge can be made.

The grounds for representation are as follows:

  • The alleged contravention did not occur
  • I was not the owner of the vehicle at the time of the contravention
  • The vehicle had been taken without my consent
  • We are a vehicle hire firm and have supplied details of the hirer
  • The Penalty Charge exceeds the applicable amount
  • Procedural impropriety
  • Invalidity of the Traffic Order
  • The PCN has already been paid
  • There are compelling reasons why the PCN should be cancelled and any monies paid be refunded

Photographic evidence

You can view photographic or CCTV evidence online, which we believe proves the contravention.

If you wish to see the evidence prior to deciding whether to make a formal representation you must tell us.

Rejected representation

In the event that a formal representation is made and rejected by us, the full amount of the charge will become payable.

At this stage you will be able to take the matter for further arbitration to the Environment and Traffic Adjudicator Service using the form provided.

About the static parking contravention

A PCN issued for a static parking contravention is issued by virtue of Traffic Management Act 2004.

Next: Your challenge