How to challenge a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

Parking contraventions

Notice to Owner

If you have received a PCN for a parking contravention, a formal representation can only be made upon receipt of a Notice to Owner (NTO).

A NTO will be issued to the keeper of the vehicle 28 days after the issue of the PCN, if it remains unpaid (except where the vehicle has been removed, when you will be given a representation form at the car pound).

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency would normally provide us with the keeper's details. However, we have a legal right to send a NTO to the person we believe to be the keeper at the time of the contravention.

Make a formal representation

When you receive the NTO, you can make a formal representation against the PCN within 28 days on one of the following grounds:

  • I was not the owner of the vehicle at the time of the contravention
  • The contravention did not occur
  • The vehicle had been taken without my consent
  • The traffic order was invalid
  • We are a vehicle hire firm and have supplied details
  • The Penalty Charge exceeded the relevant amount
  • The parking attendant was not prevented from serving the PCN
  • Procedural impropriety
  • The PCN has already been paid

Next: Bus lane contraventions