Disabled Facilities Grant

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) are used to pay for work that is needed to help a person with a disability live more independently in their own home.

Who is eligible

The aim of the grant is to help people who cannot afford to pay for work to adapt their homes.

You can apply for a DFG if you are:

  • A person with a disability, if you are an owner occupier (live in and occupy you own home) or a private or housing association tenant
  • An owner occupier or a tenant who has a person with a disability living in their home
  • A parent or guardian of a child with a disability, if the child is under 18 years old
  • A landlord, applying on behalf of a tenant with a disability

Council tenants do not need to apply for a DFG.

Permission required

The following people may need to give permission for works to take place:

  • If you are a tenant, your landlord must give permission¬†
  • If you are a leaseholder your freeholder(s) consent may be required
  • If you are a joint owner then the other owners may have to give consent

Discretionary DFG policy

The Council has developed a discretionary DFG policy which allows it to help a greater number of older and disabled residents live independently. The policy sets out how the Council may use funding more flexibly to improve accessibility and increase independence.

How to apply

Find out how to apply for the Disabled Facilities Grant.