I'm a Ukrainian arriving in Wandsworth

We are welcoming Ukrainian nationals through the Government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme.

This page provides useful local information for getting you settled in Wandsworth.

The UK Government have published a comprehensive guide to the Homes for Ukraine Scheme and life in the UK. We recommend you take time to read this.

On this page

Financial support and finding a job

Ukrainian guests on a Homes for Ukraine visa are entitled to a one-off £200 payment per person to help with immediate costs. To claim this payment guests or the Ukrainian host can use the form below to book an appointment.

The appointment form will advise when to come to the Customer Centre reception at Wandsworth Town Hall, Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 12 noon, excluding bank holidays. The address is: Wandsworth High Street, SW18 2PU. Guests should bring their Ukrainian passport or visa documents as proof of ID.   

Please note: If you have arrived in the UK with a Ukrainian Family Visa, you are not entitled to the £200 payment.

Book an appointment

Entitlement to work

You are entitled to work while you are living in the UK. Before you can start work, you need to apply for a National Insurance number. You can start work without a National Insurance number if you can prove you have the right to work in the UK.

If you are unable to find a job straight away, or need additional financial support, you are eligible to apply for benefits immediately. Find out what is available to you.

A local Jobcentre Plus, can also help you find employment and assess you for financial benefits.

Work Match is the Council's employment service that can offer support, advice, guidance and training, and can help you find a job with a local employer. Register either by calling +44 (0)20 8871 5191 or emailing wandsworthworkmatch@wandsworth.gov.uk.

English language courses

Lifelong Learning offers free training for adults which includes:

  • English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes delivered directly and through community-based partners, providing options for lessons from multiple venues
  • One-to-one information, advice and guidance with qualified careers guidance workers, who support access not only to ESOL courses, but a number of courses that support preparation for employment, including applying directly for jobs
  • Courses delivered by a Ukranian speaking tutor, who worked as a university lecturer in Ukraine before arriving in the UK: Planning for a new future; Preparing for a job interview; Positively presenting yourself; Building resilience; How to use LinkedIn; Everyday digital skills

More information is available on Wandsworth Lifelong Learning's website.

Register interest in ESOL and/or preparation for employment

For more information you can call +44 (0)20 8871 8055 or email edlifelong@richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk.

Lifelong Learning's address is: Gwynneth Morgan Centre, Lifelong Learning, 52 East Hill, London SW18 2HJ. 

The Centre is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, and reception staff are able to provide information and arrange appointments with staff and tutors. 

The Government has also published details of additional resources and online courses which may be of interest.

Education and support for children

Any child under 18 will be entitled to enrol in a local school. You will receive support to enrol in a school, but you can find out more information about the process on the following pages:

Find out about other local childcare options for any age and children centres, for children under 5.

There are also local youth clubs which offer a range of activities and support for young people.

Special needs

All families with children will receive a home visit from a children’s services officer from the Council. If your child has a disability or special educational needs, the officer will be able to help you access support available.


You will have access to free health care while in the UK, via the local National Health Service (NHS).

How the NHS works

The first thing you should do is register with a local GP. GP surgeries are usually the first contact if you have a health problem. They can treat many conditions and give health advice. They can also refer you to other NHS services, including mental health.

Mental Health Services are available to you locally. If you have serious concerns about your mental health you should contact your GP.

Find out about other local health services.

Get a COVID-19 vaccine

Everyone living in the UK aged 12 and over, and some children aged 5 to 11, can get a 1st and 2nd dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.

People aged 16 and over, and some children aged 12 to 15, can also get a booster dose.

Find out how to get a COVID-19 vaccine.

Find more COVID-19 guidance in the UK and other local information.

Support for vulnerable adults

Adult Social Care can help people who are elderly or have disabilities. They can also help you connect with local neighbourhood groups, and services such as libraries and health services.

They can also help you if you look after someone else.

When you contact Adult Social Care, they will carry out an assessment to find out what you need. They will also carry out a financial assessment to see if you have to pay anything.

Adult Social Care can help arrange for someone to come into your home to look after you. They can also arrange for a place in a care home. They can get specialist equipment to help you live in your home. They can give support and advice to people with physical or learning disabilities, or people with sensory disabilities.

Find out more about Adult Social Care.

Police and safety

You can contact the Police by calling 101 (non-emergency) or 999 (emergency).

There is support available if you need help for the following:

Living in Wandsworth

Wandsworth is a great place to live, with plenty to do locally.

Find out more about our:

You can find out about Shops, local businesses, bars and restaurants.

If you would like to explore the rest of London, find out more about public transport options with Transport for London (TfL).

More useful information:

General support

We have funded Citizen’s Advice Wandsworth to help newly-arrived Ukrainians navigate social welfare systems, and access financial and other support to settle comfortably in Wandsworth. This service will provide support on a range of topics including applying for Universal Credit, finding housing, and securing immigration status.

Citizens Advice can be contacted via a webform or their Adviceline on 0808 278 7833 (10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday).

Find out more about Citizens Advice Wandsworth support.

ZSL London Zoo vouchers

We have secured access to 500 vouchers for free entry to ZSL London Zoo for refugee households in Wandsworth in receipt of any of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

We would like to extend this offer to eligible Homes for Ukraine and Ukraine Family visa scheme guests living in our borough, enabling guests to register for free zoo vouchers.

If you are interested, please complete the Register your interest in ZSL London Zoo vouchers form. Guests can complete this form, or sponsors can complete it on behalf of their guests. Note that vouchers will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis, and a maximum of one voucher can be allocated per guest.

Once allocated, these vouchers are valid until December 2023 and can be exchanged for zoo tickets for a specific day, which need to be pre-booked online using the voucher number.


If you are unable to find the information you need on these pages or on our website you can contact us via email homesforukraine@wandsworth.gov.uk or call 0208 871 7687.

For independent advice on the Homes for Ukraine scheme and living in the UK:

Out of hours help

If you or your guest requires urgent help outside of our normal working hours or over the weekend please contact the Out of Hours number: 020 8871 8999.

This number will be able to help with emergencies such as immediate safeguarding issues or urgent housing needs.

It cannot help if you are a victim of crime, witness or need help for a crime currently in progress, or if there is an emergency that could cause harm to people or property - in these instances call 999.