About school travel plans
A school travel plan promotes active, healthy, safe and sustainable travel to school. The main objectives of a school travel plan are to:
- Improve health through encouraging active travel and reducing harmful emissions
- Improve the environment through reducing congestion, reducing pollution and CO2 emissions and improving facilities for walkers and cyclists
- Improve safety through highways engineering measures and increasing road safety education
- Improve access and opportunity by developing pupils' skills for safe and independent travel
Write a school travel plan
Find out how to write a plan, and how to book onto our workshop to help you with writing your plan.
Accreditation and awards
Benefits of a school travel plan
- View the benefits for schools with an accredited School Travel Plan.
- You can apply for a Small Grant if you have an up to date School Travel Plan.
Small Grants are available to help schools promote safe, sustainable, and active travel.
Small Grants are available to any Wandsworth school with an up-to-date Travel Plan.
What can the small grant be used for
Your Small Grant can be used to buy resources, equipment or services to further the aims of your School Travel Plan, for example:
- Bikes for cycle training or loaning out to teachers
- Competition prizes
- Cycle equipment e.g. cycle computers, lights, repair kits
- Bikers' breakfasts
- Reflective badges, jackets, arm bands
- Training workshops
- Trips (for example, to cycle venues)
Contact the school travel plan team
Contact us for more information about small grants or to request School Travel newsletters by email.