Apply for free school meals
Every child in reception, year 1 and year 2 (not nursery) in a government funded school, is automatically entitled to free school meals.
In addition, free school meals are available to pupils receiving, or whose parents are receiving, one or more of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Children who get any of these benefits directly (instead of through a parent or guardian) can also get free school meals.
Children under the compulsory school age who are in full time education may also be eligible for free meals.
Children in households with no recourse to public funds (NRPF)
From 13 April 2022 the government have permanently extended free school meal eligibility to children in all households with no recourse to public funds (NRPF), subject to maximum income thresholds.
Read the NRPF guidance which explains who these groups are and how schools can verify their eligibility and award free school meals.
How to apply
Every Community, V.A Foundations, Academy and Free School in Wandsworth is responsible for authorising free school meals for their pupils.
For queries and to apply for free school meals, contact your child's school directly.
School meals vouchers
As part of the Household Support Initiative, all children in receipt of free school meals are entitled to a payment of £15 per week in school breaks in the form of supermarket vouchers.
If you have already registered and are entitled to free school meals in Wandsworth, you will automatically receive your voucher and therefore do not need to contact us. Vouchers will be sent on the Wednesday prior to school break, at the latest. When the vouchers are ready a text message and an email will be sent to the family, using the contact details provided by the school.
Schools are encouraged to support families that may not have access to internet and need a printed voucher.
Communications regarding free school meal vouchers are posted on the Smart School Services S4S Portal. Any queries from schools, parents or guardians should be sent to email@example.com
View how to: