Bring your bulky rubbish for free to our Mega Skips
Published: Friday, February 18, 2022
Mega Skip day is back this month due to popular demand from residents. On Saturday 26 February residents can throw out any of their large household waste items at nine locations across the borough for FREE.
Normally, there’s a charge for residents to dispose of bulky waste but on Saturday 26 February, between 9 am and midday, you are invited to bring anything – for free - from sofas to mattresses and other large items - to one of the mega skips placed at nine locations in the borough. You can also bring black bags. Scroll down for locations.
Councillor Steffi Sutters, Cabinet Member for Community Services and Open Spaces said,
“You said you wanted us to bring back Mega Skip, day so we’re running it again this February so you can have a clear out of all those bulky items you’ve got at home.
“Last time we doubled the number of skips. This time we’ve got even more locations with additional skips at four more places across Wandsworth.
“So please do come along and make use of our mega skips.”
What you can bring
We are limiting the number of items you can bring to no more than six items per household so that everyone has a chance to make use of the skips.
- One bag of rubbish counts as one item, as does one sofa, one mattress etc…
- Open to residents of the London Borough of Wandsworth only, bring ID e.g. a driving licence, passport or a utility bill.
We can only accept certain items,
YES please to,
- Household waste only: the skips are for household waste only – no business waste.
- Computers and IT equipment
- Furniture - e.g. mattresses, sofas, tables etc...
- Microwaves and small electrical appliances
- Batteries (but no car batteries)
- Black bags
No thank you to,
- Hazardous objects or dangerous materials/chemicals: please do not bring anything hazardous in such as sharp objects, needles, dangerous chemicals, plasterboard, flammable liquids and asbestos.
- Car batteries
- Cement, rubble or hardcore
- Engine oil/cooking oil
- Fridges or other large electrical appliances
Watch Councillor Steffi Sutters, Cabinet Member for Community Services and Open Spaces talk about Mega skip day
Mega skip locations
Skips will be placed at the following locations. As we expect high demand on the day, we will operate on a first come first served basis – and we’ll update the locations below should any locations become full before midday,
The skips will be open from 9am-12pm,
- Church Lane Car Park, SW17
THIS SKIP IS NOW FULL AND WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING ANY MORE BULKY WASTE
Google maps link: Church Lane Car Park
- Strathdon Drive, SW17: on the corner between Strathdon Drive and St George’s Grove
Goggle maps link: Strathdon drive
- Malva Close, SW18
Google maps link: Malva Close
- Putney Park Lane, SW15 (on the grassed area)
Google maps link: Putney Park Lane
- Balham Grove, SW12 - Oldridge Road, Junction of Balham Grove
Google maps link: Oldridge Road
- Acanthus Road, SW11
Google maps link: Acanthus Road
- Weydown Close, SW19: Junction between Weydown Close and Smithwood Close
Google maps link: Weydown Close
- Alton Estate, Downshire Field, SW15: Downshire Field, junction between Highcliffe Drive and Danebury Avenue
Google maps link: Alton Estate
- Westbridge Road, SW11: car park between Misterton Court and Draycott Court
Google maps link: Westbridge Road
- Report fly-tips on the council website gov.uk/flytipping
- To check collection days for waste and recycling days visit gov.uk/waste
- If you miss the ‘mega skip’ days and want the council to collect your bulky items for a modest fee visit gov.uk/specialcollections
- Sign up to Freegle, something you may not want can be used by others https://www.ilovefreegle.org/explore/Wandsworth-Freegle
- https://groups.freecycle.org/group/WandsworthUK is also a good place to ask for and dispose of items that can be reused.