Bulky waste and DIY waste collections
The Bulky Waste Collection Service is for items that are only suitable for disposal.
If someone else might want your items, you can:
- Sell them (for example using Gumtree)
- Give them away (for example using Freegle)
- Use a free charity collection service (for example the British Heart Foundation)
The Bulky Waste Collection Service collects
- Items of household waste that are too big for the bin
- Household garden waste in excess of five bags per week.
- DIY waste
It doesn't collect
- Anything that cannot be lifted safely by two people e.g. sofabeds. If you may need such items collected, break them down into pieces that can be safely lifted beforehand.
- Bricks, soil, rubble or stones (small amounts can be delivered to the household waste and recycling centre in Smugglers Way)
- Paint (see household chemicals)
- Rubbish produced by workmen employed in your home
- Car batteries, engines or other parts
When will the collection occur?
We will collect your bulky and DIY waste items no more than 10 days after you book the service.
Your collection will be on the same day that we collect individual dustbins and clear recycling sacks in your street (large communal wheeled bins may be emptied on different days). Check your bulky waste collection day.
You should ensure that the items are available for collection by 6.30am on your collection day.
Where will the items be collected from?
Your bulky items/DIY waste will be collected from the same location we collect your other rubbish and recycling from, unless you have booked an indoor collection. Our charges are higher for indoor collections.