Notify us of a change in circumstances - council tenants

You will need to let us know if you have a change of circumstances in your life or property use.

If you get married or enter into a civil partnership and want to change your name or set up a joint tenancy with your partner contact your housing officer.  You will need to provide proof of a name change (for example your marriage certificate). 

If you are already a joint tenant you may want to set up a tenancy for just yourself, for example if you have divorced or separated from your partner. Again contact your housing officer to discuss the options available.

Change in people living in the property

You must tell us in writing, within 28 days, of any permanent change in the people living in the property, for example if you have a baby. However allowing the property to become overcrowded may be an offence.  A full definition of overcrowding, together with the permitted number of people that are allowed to occupy the property, is stated in your rent label letter.

Temporary absence from the property

You must tell your estate manager if you are going to be away from the property for more than 12 weeks. We will then know you have not abandoned the property. This information will be kept confidential.

Business and trade use

You must not run a business or trade from your home without our written permission. We will not refuse permission unless we feel that the business is likely to cause a nuisance to other people, or damage to the property.

As well as obtaining permission under the tenancy conditions, you should also check whether or not planning or other permissions are needed.

The Director of Housing and Community Services reserves the right to withdraw any permission granted under the tenancy conditions to run a business if other permissions are not obtained or if the business causes a nuisance.

Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction

You must tell us about changes in your circumstances that you think will affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction.