Income support available in the borough.


It’s important to make sure you get all the help you are entitled to. You may be able to claim benefits and tax credits if you are working or unemployed, sick or disabled, a parent, a young person, an older person or a veteran.

Universal Credit

Universal credit is a single payment benefit, which replaces a number of previous benefits. It is designed to help people on low-incomes or out of work with their living costs.

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you are on certain benefits you may be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payments which provide financial support to help with rent or housing costs.

Find out more about Discretionary Housing Payments (GOV.UK).

Not sure what bills to pay first?

The MoneyHelper Bill Prioritiser can help you put your bills in the right order and tell you what to do if you are struggling to pay.

Cost of Living Payments

If you receive benefits or tax credits you could be eligible for additional payments from the government.

Find out more about Cost of Living Payments (GOV.UK).

Pension Credit

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges. You might get extra help if you’re a carer, severely disabled, or responsible for a child or young person.

Pension Credit is separate from your State Pension. You can get Pension Credit even if you have other income, savings or own your own home.

Use the Pension Credit calculator (GOV.UK) to find out if you are eligible and how much you could get.

In January 2023, we wrote to residents who we deemed eligible for pension credits, but may not be claiming. View how to claim Pension Credit

Crisis assistance

Crisis payments are awarded to cover short-term needs which prevent serious risk to the health and safety of a person or their family. The payments are intended to meet one-off needs rather than on-going expenses.

Crisis Assistance provides support by way of supermarket vouchers that can be used for groceries and fuel vouchers for pre-payment meters.

This support can be in the form of:

  • Supermarket vouchers that can be used for groceries
  • Fuel vouchers for pre-payment meters

Find out more and apply for Crisis assistance.

Support and advice

Organisations in the borough that can provide income advice.

Citizens Advice Wandsworth

Citizens Advice Wandsworth provide specialist advice on a range of issues such as claiming benefits, employment issues, housing, immigration, debt, tax, advice for EU citizens etc.

Website: Citizens Advice Wandsworth

Age UK Wandsworth

Age UK Wandsworth provide specialist welfare benefits and financial support service for older people; advising them on the types of benefits and grants available to them, support to fill out the applications and making applications on their behalf if necessary. Home visits are offered, if needed.

Crosslight Advice

Crosslight helps people with debt or money worries, including free face-to-face advice, money education and budgeting support.

SW London Law Centres

SWL Law Centres offer free and independent legal advice on issues including debt

Credit Unions

Credit Unions offer loans and savings options to their members. The following Credit Unions are open to anyone living or working in Wandsworth:

Useful money tools

View other useful online tools:

Community and voluntary sector grants

Grants are available to community and voluntary groups in the borough. We have a number of different funds which the sector can make applications to.

Contact the hub

You can contact our Cost of Living Hub to get information and advice on the cost of living crisis, including where to get help about:

  • Financial benefits
  • Family and child care costs
  • Finding your nearest warm Space

You can call the hub for free on 0808 175 3339 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.