Applying for a club premises certificate

A club premises certificate is a permanent authorisation, granted in respect of a specific location, which authorises the club to carry on licensable activities. Once an authorisation is granted, a club premises certificate will be valid for the life of the club, or until it is surrendered or revoked. You must ensure that you have followed the club rules regarding the surrendering of a club premises certificate.

The club can apply to vary the terms and conditions of the club premises certificate.

Where a premises creates problems which impact on any of the four licensing objectives, a club premises certificate can be called in for review, by residents or responsible authorities.

An annual fee is payable on the anniversary of the grant of each certificate.

To obtain a club premises certificate you must be a qualifying club

A qualifying club is one where the club and its assets are for the mutual benefit of its members. To be a 'qualifying club', the club must:

  • Have at least 25 members
  • Have a gap of at least two days between a perspective member applying to join (or being nominated) and being admitted to the club
  • Be established and conducted in 'good faith'. The way the club is financed determines this

Qualifying club activities include:

  • The supply of alcohol to a member
  • The sale of alcohol to a bona fide guest
  • The provision of 'regulated entertainment' for club members and guests
  • The provision of late night refreshment (hot food and non-alcoholic hot drink after 11pm). This is an automatic entitlement for premises holding a club premises certificate

Your club premises certificate can be withdrawn if you fail to satisfy the conditions for being a qualifying club.

Applying for a club premises certificate

Club premises certificate

How to apply for a new club premises certificate to carry out licensable activities.

Variation to a Club premises certificate

How to apply for a variation to an existing club premises certificate, such as extending current activities, adding new activities, or making significant changes to the plans of the premises.

Minor variation to a Club premises certificate

How to apply for a minor variation to an existing club premises certificate, such as small adjustments to licensing hours or to alter the layout of the premises.

Notification of interest

How to notify us of your legal interest in a property.

Changes in the details of an existing club premises certificate

How to notify us of minor changes to an existing club premises certificate, such as a change in the individual holding the position of club secretary or a change in the rules of the club.

Annual fee

How to make a payment of the annual continuation fee for a club premises certificate.

Other authorisations

If a club is not a qualifying club and is a club run by an individual with a view to making a profit, for example a snooker club, or if it plans to sell alcohol to non-members (for example by hiring out a space for private events where there will be a pay bar) it may need to apply for one of the following authorisation under the Licensing Act 2003.

A Personal Licence authorises individuals to supervise the sale of alcohol where a premises licence is in force.

A Premises Licence authorises the licence holder to carry on any of the above mentioned licensable activities at premises open to the public.

A Temporary Event Notice can be used to authorise small-scale events on a one-off or occasional basis involving no more than 499 persons.