Consumer advice

The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can help resolve your problems and disagreements about goods or services including:

  • Overcharging
  • Faulty goods
  • Bad workmanship
  • Dishonest traders and scams
  • Under age sales - this includes the sale of alcohol, cigarettes, knives, fireworks, solvents, video recordings and spray paints.

View the Consumer pages on the Citizens Advice website.

Report a problem

If you have a problem with any goods or services, you should report to the Citizens Advice Bureau who are there to help.

You can:


Visit the Citizens Advice website for information on how to check if something is a scam.

There are different ways you can report a suspected scam.

Business advice

We recognise that most businesses want to comply with the law. We therefore take care to help businesses meet their legal obligations without unnecessary expense.

Visit the Business Companion website from Trading Standards Institute website to find information and advice on trading standards law.

Find reliable and trustworthy traders

Visit the TrustMark website to search for traders that have been approved and meet government standards.

Product recalls

View the Trading Standards Institute's product recall list for faulty products that may affect your safe