In-year admissions and transfers

How to apply for a school place during the school year.

Admission of older children

If you require a place in a Wandsworth secondary or primary school after the school year has begun, you will need to complete the relevant application form for 'in-year' admission. It is not possible to apply for in-year admission using the online application facility.

You should contact the Pupil Services section to find out the availability of places in the schools listed in the brochures Choose a Wandsworth Primary School and Choose a Wandsworth Secondary School.

Children who already have a school place

If your child already has a place in a Wandsworth school but you want him/her to transfer to a different school in Wandsworth, you should discuss this with the Headteacher of their current school before making an application.

If a change of school is necessary, you should first find out if there are places available at other local schools by contacting the schools or the Council's Pupil Services team. You will need to obtain an 'in-year' transfer application form from your child's current school. The form has a section which must be completed by the school.

Find a school

Proof of address

If you are a Wandsworth resident, we will try to verify your address from Council records. If you do not live in Wandsworth or we cannot verify your address, you will need to provide proof of your address. Further information about acceptable documents.

Law on school attendance

Please note that you may not legally withdraw your child from school unless you have arranged a place in another school or made alternative arrangements for your child to receive full-time education. If your child is having problems at school or has been out of school for some time, contact the Education Welfare Service.


School Admissions

Telephone: 020 8871 7316

Education Welfare Service

Telephone: 020 8871 8306 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

If the Education Welfare Officer for your child's school is not available when you call, you can talk to another officer. Alternatively, you can make an appointment to speak to a duty officer.