Request pre-application advice and guidance
You can obtain pre-application advice for a proposed development, which includes:
- Accurate and objective advice (without prejudice to the formal consideration of an application by the council)
- Information about relevant planning policies
- Planning application timescales and procedures
The common projects page on the planning portal website is a good place to start if you are unsure about the planning process and requirements. Here you can find out about planning rules, permitted development limits and building regulations for over fifty common building work projects for the home.
How to request pre-application advice
Complete the pre-application advice enquiry form and give as much information as possible so that we provide the most useful advice for your project and ensure that you pay the correct amount. View pre-application advice costs.
Email the form to email@example.com, telling us you are seeking planning pre-application advice.
If necessary or requested, we will contact you to arrange an appointment.
A free generic advice service is available for householder enquiries.
You can either:
- Call the duty planner between the hours of 9am to 1pm Monday to Friday on 020 8871 7620 for telephone advice; or
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book a 20 minute face to face appointment. You should include your name, site address including post code and a contact number together with an outline of what you want to discuss. Appointments are available between 9 and 11am on Tuesdays and Thursdays only
Please note that this is not a service that will provide detailed guidance; it is to give basic advice such as how to make an application or where you can find our planning policies. Any opinions expressed will be informal and non-binding. For a more detailed response you should use the Council’s pre-application enquiry form to submit a formal request for pre-application advice and pay the correct fee as explained above.