Documents required for a resident parking permit application

You must supply proof of residence and vehicle for a parking permit.

If you are a new resident, you may not be able to provide the required level of proof for a standard resident permit. Therefore, you can apply for a non-refundable one month permit which allows you to park with minimal level of proof, while you wait for the required documents to obtain a standard permit.

Standard resident parking permit

With your permit application you must include proof of:

  • Residence
  • Vehicle ownership

If you apply online, documentation should be uploaded with your application. You can upload scanned images, or photos of your documents taken by your phone or camera.

Photocopies are acceptable for postal applications. However, if you are applying in person, original documentation must be provided.

Proof of residence

One of the following documents will be acceptable. The document must show your name and Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) address. If providing one of the bills listed below, it must be addressed to and refer to the CPZ address:

  • Driving licence - the DVLA abolished paper counterparts for photo card driving licences in June 2015. Original paper driving licences that have not yet transferred to a photo card licence are still valid
  • Current Council Tax bill
  • Valid 12 months home contents insurance schedule
  • State pension or benefit letter - the following letters, dated within the current financial year, will be accepted: state pension, child benefit, housing or council tax benefit, income support and unemployment benefit
  • Landline telephone bill - must show the landline telephone number and be dated within the last three months
  • Gas or electricity bill - must be dated within the last three months. We do not accept water bills or letters from utility companies.
  • Current television licence
  • Current council/Housing Association tenancy agreement and a rent statement showing recent payments
  • Current 6 or 12 month estate agent's tenancy agreement - the agreement must be signed and dated by all parties, show the name of the estate agent and be valid for at least a month at the time of application. Private tenancy agreements will not be accepted
  • Bank/credit card statement, dated within the last three months. Dated transactions must be shown to prove an active account. Account number, purchase details and monetary values can be obscured from view.

Proof relating to the vehicle

One of the following documents will be acceptable:

  • Vehicle registration document - this will only apply if you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and will only be accepted if the vehicle is registered to the CPZ address. Hand amended documents will not be accepted
  • Current car insurance document (certificate and schedule) - these must show your name, the vehicle's registration number and must confirm that the vehicle is insured to be kept at your CPZ address. You should provide all pages of the document as the required information may not be shown on one page. If you are providing a temporary insurance cover notes/certificate, it must show the details requested above. Note that you may required to provide your full insurance document at a later date
  • Hire/leasing company agreement - if you hire or lease a vehicle, you must submit a copy of the current agreement. (If you drive a company vehicle, see option 'company letter' below). The agreement must show your name, CPZ address, the vehicle's registration number and give the name and address of the hire/leasing company
  • Company letter -If you drive a company vehicle, you must submit a typed letter on company headed paper, signed by your employer and dated within the last three months. The letter must include: your name and address, your job title and the vehicle's make and registration number. It should also confirm that you are the sole user of the vehicle and state whether the company own or lease the car. If the company owns the car, a copy of the vehicle registration document must be provided. If the car is leased, a copy of the leasing agreement is required

If your company uses a fleet management specialist, a letter from them will be accepted, however, it must include the information detailed above, confirm the length of the lease and the name of the company you work for.

If you are a sole trader and the vehicle is registered or leased to your business address, you will need to submit a letter of verification from your accountant and your vehicle registration document or leasing agreement.

Temporary one month permit for new residents (paperless)

New residents are sometimes unable to provide the required level of proof for a standard resident permit. This non-refundable one month permit allows residents to park conveniently with only a minimal level of proof, while they wait for the required documents to obtain a standard permit.

To apply, you must provide one document from the following list, showing your name and your new CPZ address:

  • Solicitor's letter
  • Estate agent's letter
  • Mortgage agreement
  • Mail redirection agreement
  • Removals contract
  • Private tenancy agreement
  • Letter from employer
  • Letter from college
  • Doctor's practice letter
  • Bank statement
  • Mobile phone bill
  • Utility welcome letter

Or, you can supply one of the documents accepted for the standard resident parking permit.


If you have any questions about parking permits, use our online form to Make a parking enquiry.

Got a question?

Web chat available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm