Trading standards to enforce the illegal sale of vapes
Published: Friday, June 30, 2023
Trading Standards Officers are to make unannounced visits to premises throughout the borough to crack down on the illegal selling of vapes.
It is illegal to sell electronic cigarettes or vapes to anyone under the age of 18. Any illegal or unsafe products are liable to be seized and traders found making illegal underage sales may be prosecuted and fined.
Residents are also encouraged to report these products being sold illegally.
Nicotine vapes can help adults stop smoking and evidence shows vapes are significantly less harmful than smoking.
Adults buying vapes should check they are meeting safety standards and are legal.
Vapes should have:
- A maximum tank size of 2ml for an e-cigarette, which is about 600 puffs
- A maximum volume of 10ml for a nicotine-containing refill container
- A maximum strength of nicotine-containing liquid if present, 20mg/ml nicotine
- A clear health warning 'This product contains nicotine which is a highly addictive substance'
- Tamper-evident and child-resistant packaging
- Labelling which does not closely resemble foods, sweets, or resemble brand names/logos of rights holders.
If you have any concerns, report them to Trading Standards by calling Citizens Advice on 0808 223 1133.