Look out for your Universal Credit Migration letter

Published: Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Residents claiming benefits and tax credits will be receiving a Migration Notice about the move to Universal Credit.

Share this

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment to help with your living costs and provides support if you are working and on a low income, looking for work or unable to work. 

The following benefits and tax credits are ending and being replaced by Universal Credit, under a single monthly payment: 

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is writing to most people who receive these benefits to tell them they need to claim Universal Credit instead, to ensure they still receive financial support. This letter is called a ‘Migration Notice’.  

You do not need to take any action until you receive your Migration Notice letter, however when you do, it’s important you check the date that you will need to claim by as you won’t be moved automatically.  

Please don’t ignore your Migration Notice letter as it explains what you need to do next.  

If you want help with your Universal Credit application or are concerned about managing your income until you receive your first Universal Credit payment, there are different types of support available

Check out the website www.gov.uk/ucmove for more information.  

If you would like to further support / advice in claiming Universal Credit, contact Citizens Advice on 0800 144 8444. 

Visit the Cost of Living Hub for the latest information on what is available nationally and locally as well as details of the borough’s network of Community Spaces and free support calculator.