Mega Skip Day this Saturday
Published: Friday, August 11, 2023
The next Mega Skip Day will be this Saturday (August 12), with skips in six locations.
The council is now running 18 Mega Skip Days a year, instead of the previous 12 after figures showed they have led to an 11 per cent decrease in flytipping.
Usually there is a charge for bulky waste collections, but you can take up to six items along to the mega skip nearest to you for free, including some electrical equipment and household items like mattresses and sofas.
Judi Gasser, cabinet member for the environment, said: “The beauty of our scheme is that everything left in a Mega Skip is recycled, which is not only good for our local environment, but because it reduces our disposal costs, means we can also continue to offer our residents the same low council tax
“And the success and popularity of our Mega Skips has led to a significant reduction in the number of flytips left on our streets. Increasing the frequency of the scheme should help drive down that number even more.
"Locations are chosen based on feedback from residents so if you know an area that would benefit from one, email me at Cllr.J.Gasser@wandsworth.gov.uk.”
Mega Skip Day
When: Saturday August 12, 9am-12pm
Where: Skips will be placed at the following locations. As we expect high demand on the day, we will operate on a first come first served basis. When the skips are full we will let you know via twitter, so please check our feed before setting off
- St Philip Square, SW11 Find on a map
- Dyers Lane, SW15 Find on a map
- Skelbrook Road, SW18 Find on a map
- Endlesham Road, SW12 Find on a map
- Besley Street, SW16 Find on a map
- Strasburg Road, SW11 Find on a map
What you can bring
We are limiting the number of items you can bring to no more than six items per household so that everyone has a chance to make use of the skips.
One bag of rubbish counts as one item, as does one sofa, one mattress etc.
Open to residents of the London Borough of Wandsworth only, bring ID e.g. a driving licence, passport or a utility bill.
We can only accept certain items:
Household waste only: the skips are for household waste only – no business waste
- Computers and IT equipment
- Furniture - e.g. mattresses, sofas, tables etc.
- Microwaves and small electrical appliances
- Batteries (but no car batteries)
- Black bags
NO thank you to,
- Hazardous objects or dangerous materials/chemicals: please do not bring anything hazardous in such as sharp objects, needles, dangerous chemicals, plasterboard, flammable liquids and asbestos
- Car batteries
- Cement, rubble or hardcore
- Engine oil/cooking oil
- Fridges or other large electrical appliances
Other waste services
Report fly-tips on the council website wandsworth.gov.uk/flytipping
To check collection days for waste and recycling days visit wandsworth.gov.uk/waste
If you miss Mega Skip days and want the council to collect your bulky items for a modest fee visit wandsworth.gov.uk/specialcollections
Sign up to Freegle - something you may not want can be used by others
Freecycle is also a good place to ask for and dispose of items that can be reused.