Changes to council services on day of Queen Elizabeth II’s State Funeral
Published: Tuesday, September 13, 2022
The Government has announced that Monday, September 19, the date of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s State Funeral, will be a national bank holiday.
This is to give people the opportunity to pay their respects to Her Majesty and commemorate Her reign, while marking the final day of the period of national mourning.
This means that there will be some changes to council services on that day.
• Most town hall offices will be closed including the customer services centre and call centre. The Marble Hall reception area of the Town Hall on Wandsworth High Street will however remain open for people wishing to sign the borough’s Book of Condolence.
• There will be no household refuse and recycling collections on Monday, September 19. Collections will occur one day later than usual throughout the week for all households. People are being asked to please avoid leaving their refuse and recycling sacks out too early.
• The organisation that operates the household waste and recycling centre at Smugglers Way has announced it will be closed to the public on Monday, September 19.
• All 11 libraries in Wandsworth will be closed for the bank holiday.
• Schools will be closed that day.
• Cemeteries will be open for visitors during normal opening hours (10am to 6pm), although the offices will be closed.
• Wandsworth’s Register Office will be closed but with on-call services available for emergencies. A limited service will remain in place for pre-arranged appointments that cannot be rescheduled.
• Council sports facilities will remain open with some variation to normal bank holiday opening hours, except Barn Elms Sports Centre which will be closed. Council leisure centres operator Places Leisure will open Putney and Latchmere Leisure Centres and Tooting Bec Lido with some variation to normal bank holiday opening hours. All other Council leisure centres will be closed. Check the website of your local leisure centre for details.
For more information about council services please visit www.wandsworth.gov.uk.