Road and pavement licences

Non-excavation streetworks/traffic management licence

This licence is required if you want to carry out work on the public highway that does not require any excavation.  This will allow you to book road space and we will co-ordinate activities on the public highway in accordance with our statutory duty under Section 59 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.

You will need to comply with the provisions of the Highways Act 1980, the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, the Traffic Management 2004, the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994 where applicable, and all other necessary statutory provisions or regulations.

If you are going to be carrying out works with excavation on the public highway you will need to apply for a Section 50 Private streetworks licence

In order for your application to be considered it must be accompanied by a detailed plan showing the extent of the activity to be carried out. If you do not provide a plan your application will be returned to you.

How to apply 

Download and complete a non-excavation streetworks licence application form and return it to

If you require advice before submitting your application, email and we will be able to help.

What happens next? 

We are required to give a minimum of approximately four weeks advance notice of any proposed works to all relevant parties.

When your application has been received and co-ordination checks have been carried out we will contact you to discuss and progress your application.

Once your application is approved you will be asked to make your payment.

When you have paid your licence will be issued. No work can begin until you have the signed licence. The signed licence must be displayed on the site.


The cost of a non-excavation streetworks permit is a non-refundable payment of £250 to cover all supervision/inspections and administration.

Ways to pay

Make a payment

Pages in Road and pavement licences