Preventing homelessness when leaving the armed forces
If you are leaving HM armed forces you have the right to help with finding somewhere to live.
Types of assistance
Housing advice and assistance is available for people who are due to leave the armed forces or those who have left within the last five years. The type of assistance we can give depends on your situation.
Joint Service Housing Advice Office
You can get help through your housing advice office. They provide information and advice for you and your dependants, especially if you are about to return to civilian life. Joint Service Housing Advice Office: 01252 787574
Duty to refer
You can also be referred for housing assistance to any council by your housing advice officer (ask them about the new law called ‘duty to refer’). See our website for how they can make a referral on your behalf.
If you don't have anywhere to live, you can get help from your local council. You will have a priority need if you are vulnerable because of your time in HM armed forces.
- SPACES: 01748 833797 or email: email@example.com (Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services)
- Help for Heroes: 01725 514144 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Royal British Legion: 0808 802 8080
- Royal British Legion Industries: 01622 795900 Email: email@example.com
- Veterans' Gateway: Veterans UK: 0808 1914218 email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.veterans-uk.info
- Sir Oswald Stoll Foundation: 0207 385 2110
- Veterans Aid: 0800 012 68 67 email: email@example.com