Preventing homelessness when leaving care

Children’s Services is responsible for finding you somewhere to live until you turn 18 years old. If you are a homeless care leaver we will be able to offer advice and assist, please see how we can help.

Getting help

Most young people who have been in care are entitled to help if they become homeless. The help you are entitled to usually depends on your age and personal circumstances.

Who can help

Children’s services is responsible for finding you somewhere to live until you turn 18 years old. You will be supported by your personal adviser or leaving care housing officer. They will help you complete a social housing application or to secure a private rented property in line with your wishes and Pathway Plan. They will help settle you in with appropriate furniture and a home starter pack.

Your pathway plan

Before you leave care, you should be given a Pathway Plan setting out what support you might need to live independently. You're also given a personal adviser whose job it is to make sure that you claim everything you are entitled to. They should stay in contact with you and provide ongoing support and help until you turn 21, or until your 25th birthday, if you are still studying full time.

Managing your money (for under 25s)

Mybnk helps young people take charge of their money and finances. You can get advice on things like budgeting, saving and startup funding. Contact them today to book yourself on a ‘financial education’ workshop.

Other useful agencies