Difficulties paying council rent

Customer notice

If you are struggling to pay your rent, please let us know by contacting your Rent Collection Officer. We would like to help if possible and may be able to refer you for further assistance.

If you are having difficulty paying your rent and charges, the Rent Collection Service can advise you on options that may help you find a way to clear your arrears by paying extra each week.

Your Rent Collection Officer will be pleased to discuss this with you, so do not wait until you are in serious rent arrears or receive a notice seeking possession of your property. Contact us immediately if you have a problem paying your rent. This way, the sum owed will likely be small and you will be better able to clear the arrears quickly. The aim is to ensure that you and your family stay in your home and do not get evicted.

Advice on paying your rent

We are able to give advice on the different methods of payment to pay your rent and will help you find the options that best suit your circumstances. We can also help by advising you of any welfare benefits that you might be entitled to but have not been claiming.

If you qualify, this may increase your available income.

Your Rent Collection Officer can refer you to the Financial Inclusion Team who can give specialised advice, guidance and assistance on how you may be able to improve your financial situation.

Remember, maintaining your tenancy and keeping a home/roof over your head should be your first priority. 

Contact the Rent Collection Service

The number for your Rent Collection Officer can be found on notices and letters that are sent to you. This number is the quickest way to speak to the correct person. The number for general enquiries is 020 8871 8987.