Welfare changes and your benefits

What you can do about your benefits changes

There are various different options to help with your cost of accommodation.

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant and wish to discuss payment of your rent and arrears or need budgeting advice, contact the Rent Collection Service. 

Email: rents@wandsworth.gov.uk 
Telephone: 020 8871 8081

Negotiate a lower rent with your landlord

Speak to your landlord or letting agent and ask them to consider reducing your rent (to the new LHA rate). If you have a good tenancy record, they may be prepared to consider this instead of having to find a new tenant. If you are unsure about approaching your landlord you can contact our Housing Options Service for advice and assistance.

Housing Options Service

The Team is responsible for the prevention of homelessness, providing confidential housing and tenancy relations advice and general housing advice.

The service is based at:

Housing Customer Centre
Housing and Community Services Department
90 Putney Bridge Road
SW18 1HR

Opening hours: 9am to 4.30pm (5pm for telephone queries).

For an initial discussion telephone 020 8871 6161 and, if necessary, an appointment will be arranged for you.

Pay the difference

Pay the difference between the new benefit rate and the rent yourself out of other income. You should ensure that you have sufficient funds to do this, and don't fall into debt as a result.

Look for cheaper accommodation

Look to move to a property with a cheaper rent. It may be that you will need to consider alternative areas where rents are cheaper.

Discretionary Housing Payments

You may apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). This is a cash limited fund for those needing further financial help with housing costs.

An application must be made in writing to our Benefits Service and should contain as much detail as possible about the circumstances that make it difficult for you to pay the shortfall in your rent.  A DHP cannot usually be a long term solution.

For information about DHPs and how to make an application.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) gives free, confidential information and advice to help people with their money, legal, consumer and other problems.


Find out about other benefits you can claim and further financial help that is available to you from GOV.UK.