Types of social housing

Social housing is a home let by either the Council or a housing association (HA) in the borough. Social housing is usually self-contained and unfurnished, although you may be able to get financial help for furniture from the Social Fund. See guidance on the Social Fund from Jobcentre Plus.

Council managed housing

Most of our housing is in high rise blocks and on estates in Roehampton and Battersea. Ground floor, street properties with gardens and new build properties rarely become available and are usually reserved for applicants with specific housing requirements.

Council tenants are usually given an introductory tenancy, which is like a trial tenancy that runs for a year. During this trial year, introductory tenants can be evicted if they do not keep to the conditions of their tenancy agreement.

After the first year, providing the tenancy has been maintained with no problems, you will be offered a flexible fixed term tenancy. The duration of a flexible fixed term tenancy can be between 2 and 5 years. After this period your housing circumstances will be reviewed again to assess whether you still need social housing.

Resident Management Organisation properties

Some Council blocks or estates are managed by Resident Management Organisations (RMOs), which means that a resident group provides services to the block or estate. Nominations to these properties are through our usual allocations process. Residents who live in RMO properties are encouraged to participate to some extent. You can indicate on your application form whether you would like to be considered for these properties.

Sheltered Housing

These are independent homes for residents aged 55 and over. They are designed to help you maintain your independence in friendly and secure communities, known as sheltered schemes. We have 26 sheltered housing schemes in the borough. You can apply if you can live fairly independently and are aged 55 years or over.

Housing Associations

Housing Associations (HAs) are independent, non-profit making organisations which provide homes for people in housing need. They are also known as Private Registered Providers (PRPs). In Wandsworth there are around 40 associations and between them they own over 9,000 homes in the borough.

Associations provide a range of housing. They own and manage homes for families, single people, the elderly, people with physical disabilities and those with special needs. A number of associations also operate Shared Ownership schemes which allow people to part purchase/part rent a property.

Generally, HAs do not have their own waiting lists. Most of their new tenants are nominated by the council from the housing waiting list. To be considered for a HA home you will therefore need to make an application to join the council's housing waiting list.