Care homes

Sometimes it may not be possible to adapt your house in such a way that you can continue using it freely and you may decide that it is better to move to a new home.

You may want to move to a smaller house like a bungalow or a retirement flat, or you may consider moving to a care home.

If you are thinking about moving, it is worth considering whether it is best to stay in the area you are in now, or if it would be easier for you to be nearer to shops or closer to family or friends.

If you are thinking of moving to another area outside of the borough, you or someone on your behalf, like a family member or carer, should contact the local council in the area you are moving to and tell them about your plans. They will be able to give you more information and advice about local services to help you make a decision about your move.

The options

If you are finding it difficult to live at home but wish to remain independent, supported housing, such as extra care housing or supported living accommodation, may be able to help you in doing so.

Supported housing options provide the additional support you may need to continue living independently such as help with meal preparation, personal care or other essential daily tasks. The support you receive will depend on your individual needs.

Depending on your care and support needs, an alternative option is a shared lives scheme. This scheme is primarily for adults with dementia, learning disabilities, or mental health issues. You are matched with an approved carer and placed in their home with them.

If you require less support but would benefit from an easier-to-manage home, moving into sheltered housing is another housing option.

Choosing a care home

If you feel you are no longer able to live in your own home other alternatives can be considered such as moving into a care home. A care home employs staff to provide the care and support you need. If you have more serious health needs, a nursing home may be more suitable for you, where you can get more specialist nursing support.

Once you have decided on the best option for you, you can use our CarePlace directory to search for care providers who can help you at home or find a care home which suits you.

Care providers have to be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). CQC monitors, inspects and regulates these services to make sure they meet fundamental standards of quality and safety.

Find the help you need


Adult Social Care and Public Health
Town Hall
Wandsworth High Street
SW18 2PU


Telephone: 020 8871 7707 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)