Apply for a Wandsworth Discretionary Community Care Grant or Crisis Payment
The scheme provides discretionary support to the most vulnerable Wandsworth residents who are experiencing hardship and crisis. Awards are made from a limited budget.
Discretionary Community Care Grant
Provides support by way of furniture (e.g. beds) and white goods (e.g. fridges).
Discretionary Crisis Payment
Provides support by way of Sainsbury's vouchers that can be used for food and fuel vouchers for pre-payment meters.
To be eligible for an award from the Wandsworth Discretionary Social Fund you must:
- Be aged 16 or over
- Be in receipt of a qualifying out of work or disability benefit or be out of work and awaiting an initial decision on entitlement to a qualifying out of work or disability benefit (consideration could be given in exceptional circumstances to low income working households)
- Not have access to any funds (including insurance) that can be relied on to meet the need they are applying for support and where they would be left with insufficient resources which would cause serious risk to their own, or their family’s health or safety
- Not have already had two awards in any rolling 12-month period excepting in the case of a disaster
- Not be a person subject to immigration control (excepting in the case of a "disaster")
- Not be eligible for and have not claimed any Short-Term Advance of Benefit payment or similar from DWP, unless exceptional circumstances apply
- Not have had your benefit entitlement suspended or sanctioned by the DWP, unless exceptional circumstances apply
- Be ordinarily resident in the Borough of Wandsworth (and have lived in the Borough for six weeks prior to applying and are expected to be resident in the Borough after receipt of the award) or have been placed by us (under our homelessness duty) in temporary housing outside the Borough or, in the case of someone leaving prison or residential care, be about to move into the Borough of Wandsworth
To apply for a Discretionary Crisis Payment, please use the ‘I need help with day to day living expenses because of an emergency’ option in the online application form.
For Community Care Grant applications, please pick the option that most closely describes your circumstances.
Please allow up to five working days for a decision to be made. Please include an up to date telephone number so an officer can contact you in order to process your claim.
Please note that from 1 January 2020 we have been advised that British Gas payments will be unavailable at PayPoint outlets. This mean that we will be unable to issue fuel vouchers via PayPoint for this supplier. Please confirm within your application the name of your pre-payment energy supplier.