Council Tax discounts, exemptions and reductions

Depending on your circumstances, you might be able to get a Council Tax discount, exemption or means-tested reduction. You can be eligible for more than one.

You must apply to us for any discount, exemption or reduction - you will not receive it automatically.

Single persons

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a property. If you are the only adult in your household, you can get a discount on your bill.

Find out if you are eligible and how to apply for a single person discount.


If you're a full-time student, you might be exempt from paying any Council Tax, or get a discount on your household's bill.

Find out everything you need to know about Council Tax for students.

Disabled people

Your bill might be reduced if your property has had significant alterations to meet the needs of a disabled person who lives there. If you qualify, your bill will be reduced to the next lowest Council Tax band.

Find out more and apply for a disabled band reduction.

Severely mentally impaired people

Discounts and exemptions could also apply for adults with a severe mental impairment:

Other discounts

If you live with people who are 'disregarded' for Council Tax purposes, you may be able to get a discount. Disregarded people are not counted when working out how many people live in a household, and include apprentices, diplomats, and some carers.

You may also be eligible if your property has had alterations to meet a disabled person's needs, is an annexe, or occupied as a condition of employment.

Find out about all types of discounts, including how to apply.

Other exemptions

Some unoccupied properties, and properties occupied only by certain people, do not need to pay Council Tax.

This includes properties that are: 

  • Left empty by a deceased occupier
  • Left empty because a person is in hospital or care home
  • Left empty when repossessed by the mortgagee
  • Occupied only by persons under the age of 18

Read about all types of exemptions, including how to apply.

Means-tested reduction

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Council Tax Reduction (CTR). This is a means-tested benefit.

The amount of your reduction depends on:

  • The amount of Council Tax you pay
  • The number of people in your household
  • Your household's income, savings and circumstances

Find out more about CTR, including who is eligible and how to claim.

If you make a claim for CTR, we will assess your circumstances and decide if you are also eligible for Housing Benefit. Residents of pensionable age can also apply for a Second Adult Rebate at the same time.