Pavement licence

The government has announced a business and planning bill to support hospitality businesses to operate safely whilst social distancing measures are still in place.

Businesses such as restaurants, pubs, cafes, bars and ice cream parlours, can apply for a pavement licence which will permit them to place removable tables and chairs on highways adjacent to their premises to sell or serve food or drink. Licenses can be obtained within five working days as opposed to the current 28 days.

It is hoped that this temporary measure will provide hospitality businesses with much needed income over the summer months.

Licences are free of charge and will be granted by the Council.

Download the pavement licence application form

Further information

Read government guidance on the new pavement licence.

View more information about licensing for tables and chairs on the highway.