Mobile plant licence

This licence is required for the operation of mobile highway plant apparatus (crane, cherry picker, hiab, concrete pump, scissor lift etc).

A mobile plant licence is issued in accordance with the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991, Highways Act 1980, Local Government Act 1982, Licensing Act 2003 and Local Government Act (Miscellaneous Provisions) 1982, Traffic Management Act 2004 and Disability Discrimination Act 2005.

How to apply

In order to process your licence and ensure co-ordination of works you should apply a minimum of two weeks in advance. This will usually be enough time but can vary depending on what, if any, traffic management you require.

Download and complete a mobile plant application form and return it to us.

If you need to close the footway or carriageway, a temporary traffic order will also be required. You should note that a temporary traffic order takes a minimum of eight weeks and costs £1,750.60. To make a road closure application.

For advice regarding road closure applications email

What happens next

We will contact you as soon as possible. Once your application has been assessed you will be asked to pay the fee. When you have paid the fee your mobile plant licence will be issued.


The fee is £183.40 per day.

Ways to pay

Make a payment