Tables and chairs on the highway

New pavement licence

The government has announced a business and planning bill to support hospitality businesses to operate safely whilst social distancing measures are still in place.

Businesses such as; restaurants, pubs, cafes, bars and ice cream parlours, can apply for a pavement licence which will permit them to place removable tables and chairs on highways adjacent to their premises to sell or serve food or drink. Licenses can be obtained within five working days as opposed to the current 28 days.

It is hoped that this temporary measure - which will be in place until the end of September 2021 - will provide hospitality businesses with much needed income over the summer months.

Licences are free of charge and will be granted by the council.

Read government guidance on the new pavement licence.

Download the pavement licence application form.

Pre-COVID information

If you want to place tables and chairs on the highway for eating and drinking activities you must get approval and a licence from us.

This is in accordance with Section 115 of the Highways Act 1980.

How to apply

You should download and complete an application form and return it to us for an initial highway assessment. 

What happens next

We will contact you in writing within 14 days. If there is no objection to your application you will be asked to pay the fee. When you have paid the fee a licence approving the placing of tables and chairs on the highway will be issued.


The annual fee is £446.20.

How long is the licence valid?

A licence is valid for 12 months.

If you wish to continue to place the tables and chairs on the highway then the licence must be renewed. To renew a licence you must apply at least three weeks before the licence expiry date.

Renew a licence

You should download and complete the renewal form and return it to us at the address on the form.