WIASS information and resources on SEND

WIASS logo

We can help you with:

Urgent mental health support for children, young people and families

Every mental health trust in London has put in place a 24/7 crisis line for all children, young people and adults to access free urgent mental health support.

SEN Information Sheets

Preparing for a meeting

Preparing for a meeting

Getting Extra Support for Children and Young People in Education settings

SEN support - short version
SEN support - SEND code of practice

EHC Assessment

EHC Needs Assessment information sheet

EHC Plans

For additional information on Education Health and Care Plan Documents and the Special Needs Assessment Service (SNAS) please go to Education Health and Care Plans on the Family Information Service website.

EHC Plans

Annual Reviews of an EHC Plan

Annual Reviews short version
Annual Reviews with SEND Code Of Practice

Wandsworth SEN Team

Known as the Special Needs Assessment (SNAS) Team.

For additional information on how Wandsworth Council carry out Education Health and Care Needs Assessments, EHC Plans Documents and for contact details of the SEN Team, visit the Family Information Service.



Looking for a Primary School checklist

Looking for a primary school without an EHC plan
Looking for a primary school with an EHC plan

Looking for a Secondary School checklist

Looking for a secondary school without an EHC plan
Looking for a secondary school with an EHC plan

Video: What is an Education, Health and Social Care Plan?

Video: Education, Health and Care Plan Annual Review Animation

SEND law and guidance

You have the right to request the following types of school or college to be named in your child or young person's Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan:

  • A maintained school or nursery (mainstream or special school) - schools funded by a local authority
  • An Academy or free school (mainstream or special school) - schools funded by the government
  • Further education or sixth form college
  • A non-maintained special school - these are charitable foundations and not-for-profit schools
  • A Section 41 school - independent schools or specialist colleges approved by the government

Find a specialist school

We have produced lists of special educational needs schools that specialise in specific needs to enable you to find an appropriate school.

Our schools lists are designed to give you an idea of what is available in the local area. However, they do not include the names of every school and we cannot guarantee that all the schools listed are suitable for your child or young person.

Schools are available for pupils with:

Communication and interaction difficulties (ASD and speech and language difficulties)

Cognition and learning difficulties

Social, emotional and mental health difficulties

Moderate learning difficulties

Severe/profound and multiple learning difficulties

Sensory needs, physical disability and/or complex medical needs

School details can change quickly and although we try to update our school lists every year, some details may not be accurate and it may not always be complete. We have included links to school search websites so that you can do your own search for the type of school or the area you are looking for.

We suggest that you check with the school when you contact them that the school is appropriate to your child’s particular needs. You can use the Ofsted website to find inspection results for each school.

WIASS is an impartial service so doesn't make recommendations or endorse individual schools.

Section 41 schools information

Section 41 of the Children and Families Act 2014 allows the Secretary of State to publish a list of approved independent special schools and post-16 institutions. Find the published list and information on Section 41 below.

The law when looking for a school/college to name on an EHC Plan

The local authority must consult schools and colleges on the above list if you request it, and must name the  school unless it can prove one of the following:

  • It would be unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or SEN of the child or young person, or
  • The attendance of the child or young person there would be incompatible with the efficient
    • Education of others, or
    • Use of resources

If you would like more information on Section 41, view the independent schools and colleges guidance on GOV.UK or contact WIASS.

Independent schools (that are not maintained or Section 41 schools)

You can ask the local authority to consider a request for an independent school that is not a maintained or Section 41 school, but this is not a right.

If you request the local authority to consult an independent school, please ensure you have a confirmed offer of a place.

Sixth forms and colleges

We have also provided lists of specialist colleges offering post-16 education for young people with SEND.

Open events 2022-2023

View open events for sixth forms and colleges

Choosing the right school

Visiting a school or college is usually the best way to find out if it’s the right one for your child.

When contacting a school for the first time it is usually best to ask to speak to the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo), Inclusion Manager or the headteacher.

When contacting a college for the first time, we suggest you speak to the SENCo, Additional Learner Support team or the head of college/sixth form.

The following guide might help you through arranging and making a visit:

Details can change quickly and although we try to update our school lists every year, some details may not be accurate. More information is available for young people with SEND on the following school search websites:

If you have any questions or want more information, support or advice about finding a school please contact us.

School suspensions and permanent exclusions

Information and support for parents:


Some children are eligible for travel assistance from home to school for compulsory aged children (aged 5 to 16).

The information on this page is taken from Home-to-school travel and transport (GOV.UK).

Read more about travel assistance criteria and how to apply.

Transport appeal

Local authorities have in place both complaints and appeals procedures for parents to follow should they have cause for complaint about the travel assistance service, or wish to appeal about the eligibility of their child for travel support. The procedure should be published alongside the local authority travel policy statement.

Appeal the transport decision you have received

Transport appeal templates:


Support with a SEN appeal:

Further sources of help

These details are provided for information only and we do not recommend any service. We advise you to contact the service to see if they may be able to help you.

All information is subject to change. Check the websites for up to date information.

Help with special educational needs

Contact SEND helpline

Contact is a charity supporting families with disabled children that runs a free helpline for parents and carers who want to talk through their issues with an expert adviser.

Contact's helpline is for parents and carers in any part of the UK with a disabled child aged from birth to 25.

Your child can have any kind of disability or additional need and you do not need to have a diagnosis.

  • Telephone: 0808 808 3555 (free from UK landlines and UK mobiles)
  • Hours: 9.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

Press 1 to speak to an education advisor, press 2 for all other helpline enquiries. 

Help with SEN appeals - SEND Tribunal

National Autistic Society 

Independent Parental Special Educational Advice (IPSEA)

Coram Children's Legal Centre 

Civil Legal Advice

For confidential and independent advice call:

  • Telephone: 0345 345 4345
  • Minicom: 0345 609 6677

Lines open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm, and Saturday 9am to 12.30pm.