- Cooked food
- Dairy products
- Tea bags
- Vegetable peelings
We do not provide a service for recycling food waste but we can collect unlimited quantities mixed with other residual rubbish for disposal every week. Any food waste we collect is incinerated, generating electricity for the National Grid. The ashes produced are recycled in cement for construction projects.
Reduce food waste
Reducing food waste and home composting as much as you can helps to reduce both environmental impacts and costs.
For example reducing the amount of food you buy that doesn't get eaten helps with your bills.
Less food thrown away means less impact on the environment from:
- Food production and distribution, and
- Collecting and disposing of it when it gets thrown away.
You can reduce food waste by making a shopping list and sticking to it. Find out more on how to reduce food waste from the Love Food, Hate Waste website.
For information about composting, visit:
To reduce the amount of food waste, you can install a food waste disposer (FWD). It is designed to fit under your kitchen sink, and it can:
- Help you get rid of food waste immediately and without leaving the kitchen.
- Grind all food waste (including bones)
- Reduces litter problems caused by scavenging animals attracted to food waste left out in bins and black sacks.