Action taken in November to keep Wandsworth’s streets clean
Published: 20 December 2017
Did you know that we clean our streets 7 days a week, up to 5 times a day in our busiest town centres? Our street cleaners and enforcement officers work around the clock to ensure that those responsible for fly-tipping and littering in the borough are accountable.
In November, enforcement officers issued 289 fines for littering, 3 fines for littering from a vehicle, and successfully tracked down and fined 19 fly-tippers. The enforcement team also took action against businesses that had not properly managed their waste, and issued 141 fines to businesses for not disposing of their rubbish during their prescribed collection time band, and 4 fines to businesses that were not able to provide their trade waste collection documents.
The council spends upwards of £4m a year on keeping the borough’s streets clean.
Enforcement Officer Rodney Koo said, “To make sure the streets of Wandsworth are clean and safe, it’s critical that we work throughout the night too. Some people think they can get away with littering and fly tipping when it’s dark, but we’re here to prove this isn’t the case”.
How you can help keep Wandsworth clean:
- Leave your waste and recycling bags out on the correct day each week. See www.wandsworth.gov.uk/waste to check your collection day.
- Show your support on Twitter using the hashtag #KeepWandsworthClean
- Report flytips on the council website www.wandsworth.gov.uk/flytipping
- Pass on evidence that could help identify a flytipper in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Set up your own clean streets initiative with support from the Wandsworth Grant Fund. Visit www.wandsworth.gov.uk/wgf
- Find the next Wandle Trust clean-up day at www.wandletrust.org
- Sign up to become one of Keep Britain Tidy’s #LitterHeroes
- Contact Jessica.email@example.com to find out more about how you can help #KeepWandsworthClean