Homes for refugee families – can you help?

Published: 27 February 2017

Residents, businesses or other organisations that could help provide a secure and safe home for Syrian refugees settling in London are encouraged to get in touch with the council’s housing team (020 8871 5307).

Individuals or organisations providing homes for refugees could be assured of long term, secure and well supported tenants.

Under the Government’s scheme, homes need to be self-contained, have at least two bedrooms and be available on an assured shorthold tenancy for a minimum of 24 months. Rent levels would need to be set within the limits of the local housing allowance.

These requirements will make sure that families have the space and stability that they need.

The town hall will provide a range of help and support to refugee families, including a dedicated case worker to help them settle into the local community, access benefits, employment and local services such as schools and doctors.

The town hall’s commitment to supporting refugees has cross party support on Wandsworth Council.

If you can help, call the housing team on (020) 8871 5307.

The local authority also provides homes for unaccompanied refugee children from Syria and other parts of the world.

If you are a foster carer and are interested in caring for an unaccompanied child, please contact the fostering team online.

For those who would like to offer their help in other ways, a British Red Cross Helpline has been set up to help direct offers of support from the public to appropriate organisations. The helpline number is 0800 107 8727.

Other humanitarian and relief agencies that would welcome support include:

  • British Red Cross Appeal
  • Oxfam
  • Save the Children's Child Refugee Crisis Appeal
  • UNHCR's Emergency Appeal
  • The World Food Programme

The Government has provided comprehensive information on how UK residents can help refugees:

Several charities and organisations are working with refugees across the UK. To find out more about volunteering opportunities in the local area visit the National Council for Voluntary Organisations.

People who want to help can also contact the Refugee Council, the British Red Cross or Refugee Action to find out more about volunteering to support asylum seekers and refugees already in the UK.