Open the door to your first home
Published: 25 September 2014
Find out how you can get the keys to a new home at next month’s Affordable Housing Open Day.
Open the Door 2014 includes a wealth of information about the advice, support and financial assistance available from the town hall, and is completely free to attend.
The day is aimed at first time buyers and council tenants who live or work in Wandsworth.
You will be able to meet with the council’s Home Ownership team and local housing providers to find out about the options available. They include:
- Shared Ownership – part buying and part renting a property (with a household income of no more than £80,000)
- Intermediate Rent, where you can get a discounted rent
- The House Purchase Grant – grants to help council tenants buy or adapt a home, or to use as a deposit towards a shared ownership property.
- Right to Buy – the maximum discount for tenants to buy their council home is £102,700.
- Housing moves to smaller or sheltered accommodation if you are a council tenant.
Independent financial advisors and solicitors will also be on hand to provide one-to-one advice on mortgages and the buying process. Council tenants who want to transfer to a more suitable property can speak to the Housing Lettings Team.
The event is organised by the council's Home Ownership Team, which manages a list of eligible buyers who live or work in Wandsworth. Many of the new homes being built in Wandsworth can be purchased on shared ownership terms by local buyers who live or work in the borough and who are on the list.
Wandsworth's housing spokesman, Cllr Paul Ellis, said: "We know how difficult it can be for hard-working people to get a foot on the housing ladder in London. We are working hard to increase the choice of affordable homes to buy and rent in the borough, and have a dedicated team of people to help you navigate through the range of schemes available”.
“The Open the Door event is always popular, because it’s a one-stop shop to find out everything you need to know”.
The Affordable Housing Open Day will be on October 23 from 2pm to 8pm in the Wandsworth Civic Suite, Wandsworth High Street.
For more information about the event or to learn more about home buying opportunities in Wandsworth visit www.wandsworth.gov.uk/homeownership or email email@example.com.