Apply for COVID self-isolation payment
The Test and Trace Support payment is available for people on a low income who must self-isolate for 10 days and cannot work from home during this period.
Before you start
Ensure you have read all supporting information, and have the required information ready.
You can help someone else fill out an application or fill out an application on their behalf. However, you cannot receive payments on behalf of someone else. Payments will only be made to the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.
You will need
You must know the following to complete your application:
- National Insurance number
- Your 8 digit Test and Trace ID number
If you are self employed you will have to upload the following:
- Evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact
If you do not provide this information with your application, it will be considered incomplete and no assessment will be made. If you still require a self-isolation payment you will have to submit a new form that includes all the proof listed above.
If you have not received your Test and Trace ID
The Council does not have access to this ID. It must be supplied by NHS Test and Trace, who you can contact by calling NHS 119.
If you have not received your Test and Trace ID after 2 weeks you can submit a claim using 00000000 as your ID number.
We will not be able to process your claim until you provide the correct ID number. When you receive your ID number forward it to email@example.com stating the reference number for your claim.
Please note you have 6 weeks from the start of your self-isolation period to claim your self-isolation payment.
To be eligible you must:
- Have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you’ve tested positive for coronavirus regardless of whether you have been fully vaccinated
- You have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive*
- Have been issued with a 8-character NHS Test and Trace Account ID. If you are unable to locate your Account ID please contact NHS 119 for further help
- Be employed or self-employed
- Be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
- Be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.
If you do not receive any of the benefits listed, you may still be eligible if you meet all of the other Test and Trace eligibility criteria above, and you will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you are self-isolating.
*From 16 August anyone who has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive on or after this date and is fully vaccinated will not be eligible. This has been implemented as per government guidelines which came into effect on this date.
You will not be eligible if:
- You are furloughed, and your income is less because of this except if you are furloughed, work part-time and due to self-isolation, you are losing further income because you can no longer work part-time
- You are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 10-day quarantine period)
- Your claim was received more than 28 days after the first day of self-isolation confirmed by NHS Test and Trace up until 6 April 2021
- From 7 April 2021, we have changed this policy and extended the timeframe. If your claim was received more than 42 days from the first day of isolation, which has been confirmed by NHS Test and Trace, you will not be eligible
How to apply
The quickest and easiest way is to apply online. This application is for one person only and any further applications within the same household must be made by each individual.
Apply by telephone
To apply, call us on 020 8871 6555.
You can speak to someone who will be able to assist you with completing the form over the telephone.
What happens next
You should receive confirmation from us within 48 hours of your application. Find out more about receiving your payment.