Ceremonies at the Town Hall
Town Hall ceremony venues
Wandsworth Town Hall was originally opened by Queen Mary in 1937. It proves a popular venue due to its art deco interior.
Room tours take place every Saturday morning (excluding public holidays). If you wish to join us please come to the Marble Hall Reception where you will be collected at 9am. Booking is not required.
The following rooms are available for ceremonies:
- The Wandsworth Register Office (up to 8 guests)
- The Victoria Room (up to 25 guests)
- The Alexandra Room (up to 50 guests)
- The Grand Chamber (up to 98 guests)
- The Mayor's Parlour (up to 8 guests)
|Wandsworth Register Office
|The Grand Chamber
| Mayor's Parlour
Booking and paying
- A non-refundable booking fee of £50 is required at the time of booking. This will be redeemed against the ceremony and certificate fee.
- Any outstanding balance is due no later than 2 months before the ceremony. If your booking is within 2 months the full fee is payable at the time of booking.
- Any changes to your booking will incur an administrative fee.
- The Register Office reserves the right to cancel a ceremony if payment has not been received.
You need to check the availability of the Registrars to attend a ceremony. Your marriage or civil partnership ceremony booking is provisional until such time as you have given your notices and completed the legal preliminaries.
- £4 each at the ceremony
- £7 each after the ceremony
- £10 each from the archived register
- £2 for extra certificates through the post (sent 1st Class – Signed For)
Planning the ceremony
In the Register Office or Sovereign Suite
Once you have given notice, you will receive a ceremony planner which is designed to help you plan your ceremony. It must be returned to us at least three days before the ceremony by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, by post or in person.
In the Grand Chamber or at an approved venue
When you have given notice, you will receive a ceremony planner which is designed to help you plan your ceremony. Once you have made your choices you can book a pre-ceremony meeting where you will be able to discuss the ceremony and any special requirements with a registrar.
These meetings are held Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm and should be booked no later than four weeks prior to the ceremony.
The pre-ceremony meeting takes approximately 30 minutes. To book a pre-ceremony meeting please call the office on 020 8871 6120 from Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.
On the day of the ceremony
Before the ceremony can begin the Registrar will need to check personal information with the couple in a pre-ceremony interview. You must therefore arrive 15 minutes before the start of your ceremony with your two witnesses and guests.
- Parties having their ceremony in the Register Office (Elizabeth Room) or the Victoria Room, will see the Registrar together.
- Parties having their ceremony in the Alexandra Room can choose to see the Registrar separately or together. Separate questioning usually takes place when one of the parties is doing an entrance.
- Parties having their ceremony in the Grand Chamber or at another approved venue can chose to see the Registrar together or separately. If separate questioning is required, please also inform the venue. The Registrar will arrive 30 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
Your guests are very welcome to take photographs and film throughout the ceremony. We ask, however, that it does not become intrusive or disrupt the ceremony.
After the ceremony, in the Town Hall, you may take photographs in the magnificent art deco marbled hall with its sweeping stairway. There is also a garden, and the secluded courtyard with its own fountain and imposing main entrance with stepped approach. This is perfect for those final group photographs.
In the Town Hall we offer a wide selection of classical and contemporary music but if there is any special music that you would like us to play please bring it along before the ceremony. New music systems with multi functional output have been fitted in the Victoria Room, Alexandra Room and the Grand Chamber. The facilities in the Register Office (Elizabeth Room) allow for the use of iPods, CDs and USB sticks. For approved venues the music must be provided and organised with the chosen venue.
On a Saturday there are two car parks at the Register Office providing ample parking for you and your guests. Parking in the courtyard is limited to two cars per ceremony and parking permits will be supplied. Your other guests can park in the second larger Town Hall car park.
During the week we regret we are unable to provide parking facilities. However, we can accommodate at least one car in the courtyard car park. Other guests may use nearby street parking or the NCP car park at the Southside shopping centre. A map showing all these facilities is shown on your ceremony appointment card.
At approved venues there is usually parking available by arrangement, please check with your chosen venue.