Housing Benefit overpayment
About Housing Benefit overpayment
An overpayment happens when you are paid Housing Benefit that you are not entitled to. An overpayment can occur for various reasons, such as:
- You have given us the wrong information.
- You have not told us about a change in circumstances.
- You have delayed telling us about a change in circumstances.
You must repay the overpayment.
You can repay overpaid Housing Benefit as:
- weekly deductions from your weekly benefit entitlement.
- invoice from our benefit recovery team.
If you are still entitled to benefit we will recover your overpayment from your weekly entitlement by deducting an amount per week from your benefit. The basic amount we will deduct is £11.10 for 2016/2017. You will need to increase the amount you pay your landlord by this amount.
If you are sent an invoice for an overpayment you can pay using one of the following options.
Online and telephone payments
- Repay Housing Benefit online
- Telephone the automated telephone payment line: 0800 021 7763 (see call charges).
Monthly instalment plan
Contact us to discuss repaying your overpayment on a monthly instalment plan:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 020 8871 8081 (9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday).
Cheques and postal orders
These should be made payable to Wandsworth Council.
Ensure you write your name, address and invoice number on the reverse of your cheque or postal order. A receipt will only be provided on request. You should not send cash.
Postal payments should be sent to:
Director of Finance
PO Box 18
London SW18 2PB
Excess award of Council Tax Reduction
If you have been awarded too much Council Tax Reduction we will send you a new Council Tax bill which will include the excess amount.
We will also advise you of your new instalments.