Get help if you are clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus

Some residents have been identified by the NHS as being clinically extremely vulnerable as they have a very specific medical condition that makes them at higher risk of severe illness if they contract COVID-19, or they have been identified by the COVID-19 Population Risk Assessment

If you have been identified as being clinically extremely vulnerable, you will previously have received a letter from the NHS or from your GP telling you this.

Latest update

The shielding programme has now ended in England. This means that people who were previously considered clinically extremely vulnerable will not be advised to shield in the future or follow specific national guidance.

If this applies to you, you will have received a letter informing you of these changes in more detail and providing further information on available support.  

As a minimum, you should continue to follow the same guidance on staying safe and preventing the spread of COVID-19. You should consider advice from your health professional on whether additional precautions are right for you. However, as someone with a health condition, you may want to consider, alongside any advice from your clinician, if additional precautions are right for you.

These could include:

  • Considering whether you and those you are meeting have been vaccinated – you might want to wait until 14 days after everyone’s second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine before being in close contact with others
  • Considering continuing to practice social distancing if that feels right for you and your friends
  • Asking friends and family to take a rapid lateral flow antigen test before visiting you
  • Asking home visitors to wear face coverings
  • Avoiding crowded spaces


From 19 July, social distancing measures have ended in the workplace and it is no longer necessary for the government to instruct people to work from home.

However, employers still have a legal responsibility to protect their employees and others from risks to their health and safety. Your employer should be able to explain to you the measures they have in place to keep you safe at work. 

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has published guidance on protecting vulnerable workers, including advice for employers and employees on how to talk about reducing risks in the workplace.

Access to Work can offer practical support to people who have a health condition that affects the way they work. The scheme can offer support, including mental health support for people returning to work after a period of furlough or shielding, and travel-to-work support for those who may no longer be able to safely travel by public transport.

If you have access to occupational health and employee assistance programmes in the workplace, these services can also provide you with a range of health support and advice for your physical and mental health needs.

School, college and other educational settings

Clinically extremely vulnerable pupils and students should have returned to their school or other educational setting. This includes early years provision, wraparound childcare and applicable out-of-school settings.

Where parents are concerned about their child’s attendance, they should speak to their child’s educational setting about their concerns and discuss the measures that have been put in place to reduce the risk. They should also discuss other measures that can be put in place to ensure their children can regularly attend.


Priority access to supermarket delivery slots using the shielding support website ended on 21 June. After 21 June, you can continue to book delivery slots in the usual manner from a supermarket.

The NHS Volunteer Responders can continue to go shopping for you and pick up prescriptions. A check in and chat service is available for regular talks over the phone. You can contact them by calling 0808 196 3646 8am to 8pm, seven days a week. More information is available on the NHS Volunteer Responders website.

Vulnerable or housebound residents can also order shopping via telephone with Sainsbury’s or Morrisons for next day delivery.

  • To place an order with Sainsbury’s, call 0800 9178 557 - Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
  • To place an order with Morrisons, call 0345 611 6111 - Sunday to Tuesday, 9am to 5pm, Wednesday to Saturday 9am to 5.30pm and select option five. Morrisons customers can choose from a list of 47 essential items.

If you urgently need groceries, you can also order shopping from food delivery companies like Deliveroo or UberEats.

If you are struggling with finances as a result of COVID-19, you can apply for the Council’s discretionary support grants.

If you are feeling anxious, worried or overwhelmed during this period, please have a look at our list of mental health resources

If you are in this group and need urgent support

Please contact our Community Hub:

If you don't currently have your prescriptions collected or delivered

You can arrange this by:

  • Asking someone who can pick up your prescription to do so from the local pharmacy
  • Contacting your pharmacy to ask them to help you find a volunteer (who will have been ID checked) to deliver it to you. You can find your local pharmacy online.