Emergency accommodation

It may be unsafe for you to remain in your home. Or you might need somewhere to stay while you get assistance to return to your home in safety or to find somewhere else to live.

If you need to leave your home, you may want to consider:

  • Staying temporarily with relatives or friends
  • Finding a women's refuge. Refuges are safe houses where women and children can stay safe from violence. Call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247
  • Making a homelessness application

Homelessness application

You can approach any local authority for an assessment if you are at risk of homelessness due to violence. While your case is investigated you may be placed in emergency accommodation.

Even if you have somewhere to live, the law says that you may be considered homeless if it is probable that continuing to stay there will lead to violence against you.

For further advice or to make a homelessness application, contact our Homelessness Prevention Team.

Leaving safely

If you are planning to leave, it may help if you can take some things with you. Only do this if it is safe to do so.

View advice if you are planning to leave, and a list of suggested items to take with you (Refuge website).

Staying in your property

If you are being threatened or physically harmed by someone who does not live with you we may be able to make your home a safer place to live by with our Stay Put Stay Safe Scheme.