Flytippers fined following evening patrol
Published: Wednesday 18th October 17
A resident and two businesses have been fined following the discovery of three flytips in Battersea.
A number of black sacks were found on Northcote Road and Battersea Park Road during a Friday evening patrol by Wandsworth’s enforcement team last week.
Evidence found within the three flytips led Wandsworth Council’s enforcement officers to two businesses and residential property nearby.
Enforcement Officer, Rodney Koo
The resident on Battersea Park Road will be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice for leaving their waste on the highway a number of days outside their collection day.
Enforcement officer Rodney Koo said, “We are patrolling the borough’s streets during the week, at night and at the weekend. We are taking a zero tolerance approach to those who think it is OK to dump their waste illegally.
“If you have concerns about a potential offender then please do get in touch in confidence and help us catch those responsible for making a mess on our streets.”
Residents are reminded to leave the waste in their front garden for collection. If waste can only be presented on the street, then it is permitted between 6.30pm the day before collection and no later than 06:30am on collection day. Leaving waste on the highway outside of this designated time is considered flytipping.
The two businesses will each be issued with a Penalty Charge Notice for presenting their waste in the wrong location and outside of the time banding period.
Time banding refers to the time when commercial waste can be presented and all businesses are responsible for ensuring that they manage their waste responsibly to comply with the law.
Businesses must ensure that they have a licenced waste carrier to collect their waste.
How you can help keep Wandsworth clean
- Leave your waste and recycling bags out on the correct day www.wandsworth.gov.uk/waste
- Show your support on Twitter using the hashtag #KeepWandsworthClean
- Report flytips on the council website www.wandsworth.gov.uk/flytipping
- Pass on evidence that could help identify a flytipper in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Set up your own Environment and Attractive Neighbourhood project with support from the Wandsworth Grant Fund
- Find the next Wandle Trust clean-up day at www.wandletrust.org
- Contact email@example.com to find out more about how you can help #KeepWandsworthClean