Adult social care - directory record page

money and legal matters

Community Care advice at SWLLC

DescriptionSouth West London Law Centres (SWLLC) offers a specialist advice service for people with community care needs. The advice service can help with issues around:

- assessments of community care needs
- residential care, nursing care and day services
- increases in community care services
- challenging decisions (e.g. about an assessment)
- carers rights (including the right to a carer's assessment)

- direct payments and personal budgets
- charges for care services and funding disputes
- getting equipment or adaptations in the home
- care and support for children with disabilities
- safeguarding vulnerable adults

It is a casework service. A case may be as simple as helping you get an assessment of your needs or challenging a decision about your support. More complex cases could involve the use of formal legal action, such as a judicial review in the Administrative Court, if a council’s decision seems to be unlawful or unreasonable, for example. The advice service can also help raise complaints, for instance about poor quality care services or if you haven't had an assessment of your needs when you should have.

Visit the SW London Law Centres website.

Telephone number020 8767 2777 (to arrange an appointment)
EligibilityYou need to qualify for legal help, or legal aid, to get help from this service. Contact the service or find out more about legal aid online:

This advice service is for people who need support from community care services. Community care services provide support to help you live a full, independent life and remain in your own home for as long as possible. These are a type of social care service and are often arranged with help from the local council's social services department.

Record last updated: 12 October 2015