Adult social care - directory record page

care and support

Pet care when going into hospital or a care home

DescriptionIf you have a pet and you will be going in to hospital it's important to think about who can look after your pet. If you are thinking of moving to live in a care home, you may also need to make arrangements as not all care homes will accept pets.

The first option for most people is to find out if family, friends or a trusted neighbour can look after your pet temporarily while you are away. This is the best option in most cases as your pet is more likely to be familiar with them.

If you are not able to arrange for someone to look after your pet, another option is to contact a charity that could help you find pet care. You may wish to consider this option if you may be unable to care for your pet for some time, or if you are having difficulty looking after your pet. Your local vet may also be able to suggest other options. There are several charities that could provide help, such as information and advice, dog walking, pet fostering and re-homing, including:

The Cinnamon Trust
Telephone: 01736 757 900

Blue Cross
Telephone: 0300 777 1897

Telephone: 0300 1234 999

National Animal Welfare Trust
020 8950 0177

Cats Protection
Further informationIf you are receiving adult social care support from the council, or are unable to make your own arrangements, we may be able to help. In this circumstance, please contact the person responsible for your care or the Access Team on 020 8871 7707.

Record last updated: 15 December 2015