Adult social care - directory record page

money and legal matters

Council Tax discounts and exemptions

AddressCouncil Tax Services,
PO Box 65962,
PostcodeSW18 9HN
DescriptionSome properties can get a discount on the amount of Council Tax they need to pay, and some might be exempt from paying any Council Tax, including some people with disabilities or social care needs. A full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a home.

You may be able to get a discount if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either:
- you live on your own
- all adults, except one, are disregarded (not counted) for Council Tax

There are many different groups of people that are not counted for Council Tax purposes. These are just some of them:

- people who are severely mentally impaired (e.g. Alzheimer's)
- carers of people with disabilities (not a spouse, partner or child)
- patients in hospital, nursing or care home
- and several others

There are also other reasons why you may get a Council Tax discount, such as if the property is unoccupied and unfurnished, uninhabitable or is empty for a long time. In other circumstances the property may be exempt from paying any Council Tax at all, for example if the only people living there are severely mentally impaired.

Find out who qualifies for discounts and exemptions, and how to apply, on the Council Tax web pages.

Telephone number020 8871 8081 (24 hour self-service line, with a call-back option)

Record last updated: 01 March 2017