Adult social care - directory record page

The Court of Protection

AddressPO Box 70185,
First Avenue House,
42-49 High Holborn,
PostcodeWC1A 9JA
DescriptionThe Court of Protection makes decisions on applications which involve people who lack mental capacity. It is an executive agency sponsored by the Ministry of Justice. You can contact the court about various things, including:

- To apply to become a deputy
- About deprivation of liberty
- To cancel an enduring power of attorney
- To object to a lasting power of attorney

If there’s a situation that needs an urgent decision, such as when you want to stop someone being removed from where they live and they lack mental capacity, you can make an emergency application to the Court of Protection. Ask to speak to the urgent business officer when you call.

Visit the Court of Protection website.

Find out about:

Telephone number0300 456 4600 (outside of office hours call 020 7947 6000 for emergency applications only)
Opening timesMonday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Record last updated: 30 September 2016