Adult social care - directory record page

travel and getting about

Road Tax exemption

DescriptionYou don't have to pay vehicle tax on some types of vehicle, such as a vehicle used by a disabled person. To be exempt from paying, you must be getting one of the following:

- The higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment
- War Pensioners Mobility Supplement

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person's name or their nominated driver's name. It must only be used for the disabled person's needs. It can't be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

Some of the other vehicles that you may not have to pay the tax for include mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs. To find out more visit the GOV.UK website.

Visit the GOV.UK pages about tax exemption

Further informationIf you don't need to pay vehicle tax you still need to apply for a tax disc and display the 'nil value disc' on your vehicle.

Record last updated: 12 August 2014