Adult social care - directory record page

health and wellbeing

Emergency health care

DescriptionIf you need medical care in an emergency there are some options, including out of hours GP and dentist services, the NHS 111 service and accident and emergency departments. You can find out more and find urgent care services by visiting the NHS Choices website.

In an emergency:
Visit your local Accident and Emergency (A&E) department or call 999 or 112. Deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people can also contact 999 by SMS text message. An emergency is a critical or life-threatening situation like loss of counsciousness, severe chest pain, heavy blood loss or a serious accident.

Out-of-hours GP and dental services:
These services are available for when urgent medical attention is required and should only be contacted if you can't wait until the next working day to be treated. To access out of hours GP services, first call NHS 111.

NHS 111 is the place to call when you need medical help fast, but it’s not a 999 emergency. Simply dial 111. The service has fully trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses and paramedics, who will assess your symptoms and give you healthcare advice or direct you to the local service that can help you best. NHS 111 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Find urgent care services on the NHS Choices website:

Record last updated: 21 August 2015